Ultimate Step-by-Step Guide to Writing a Dissertation
A dissertation is the most serious and complicated paper the student has ever written. An average dissertation covers more than 200 pages and its role is to check student’s knowledge, skills, professionalism and creativity. A dissertation is written by the students who want to build academic career, so if one plans to receive PhD degree, he will be obliged to write and defend a dissertation. Below there are guidelines which would be quite useful for everyone who has chosen this difficult academic path.
Step One: Brainstorm the Right Topic
The most important initial job of every student is to create an effective topic for the research and it is difficult to do it successfully, because the topic should be original, relevant, interesting and thought-provoking. If the topic is too narrow, one will have problems with the 200-page writing and it is important to find the golden mean – a narrow topic with the opportunity of its extension.
- You need to choose a good topic for the thesis. The value and success of a thesis paper depends on the choice of the topic. If the student wants to impress the reader with the brightness of his mind, he is expected to select an urgent and interesting problem for the research.
- Every assignment of this kind has a core thesis statement and the whole paper is the answer and explanation of this statement. The student has to work hard to create the right topic and make the professor interested with the help of the statement.
Step Two: Stay in Contact with the Advisor
A dissertation is written under the constant control of the advisor, the professor who is responsible for the quality assistance to the student’s side and the latter has to visit the advisor as often as possible in order to make sure that the process of writing is regular and the student is on the right way. Moreover, one can find much useful information about the structure, format and the appropriate manner of writing of the definite chapters and the whole text in general.
- You need to write and confirm your main idea and the outline. Before writing the paper itself, one should define what he wants to research and what answers he wants to find. It is quite difficult to find the major idea of the whole process of research and the student is supposed to do it, otherwise the quality of the thesis can be disputed, because the student does not understand what he expects from the research.
- Having designed the topic and the major issues for the analysis, one is ready to create a detailed and logical outline. It should contain all the essential points and questions which requires answers and solutions. A good outline is the half of the successful work, because if the student plans the whole process of the research and clarifies all the points he wants to cover, all that remains is just to find the information and analyze it.
Step Three: Clarify a Hypothesis
The aim of every dissertation is to analyze the chosen problem and solve it in the constructive way, so the paper has to start with the hypothesis which defines the aim and the idea of writing. The following research will be the answer and explanation of the hypothesis. The student should bear in mind that the commission will observe the hypothesis and the student’s actions directed to solve the suggested problem in the unique and professional way.
- You hypothesis should relate to your abstract and table of contents. One should prepare a brief abstract which illustrates the student’s intentions concerning the research, the purpose and relevance of writing and the difficulties which can be met on the way of the analysis. Then, one should create the contents page presenting all the chapters which build the whole thesis paper into the single unity. After that follows a brief introduction which makes the reader acquainted with the topic, problem, the approach towards the research, its methods and expectations.
Step Four: Create the Outline and Start the Research
It is important to manage the available time wisely. Though the student has more than a year to complete and defend his dissertation, it is important to work every day fulfilling several points of the broad outline. The outline of the dissertation should include all the essential points for the research and this scrupulousness will prevent the young professional from missing valuable facts.
- Be very thorough writing a methodology section. The student’s duty is to share the methods, theory and equipment used for the research of the issue. The young professional is evaluated according to the type of methods, their right application on practice, their usefulness and effectiveness for the successful observation of the matter. The student can state how these methods have helped him to achieve the expected results.
Step Five: Collect Data and Follow the Grammar
It is impossible to succeed in writing without the pack of the top-quality information collected from the reliable sources, so the student is expected to devote much time to the accumulation of the information at the library. One will need to keep to the professional manner of writing trying to be grammatically and stylistically correct. In spite of the volume of the paper, the advisor will read the text attentively and check the style scrupulously.
Step Six: Discuss the Research and Conclude It
One should carry on the research of the problem covering all the essential points of the thesis sharing the original ideas, hypothesis and thoughts on the issue under analysis. In the end the student can discuss the effectiveness of the research, claiming whether he has reached the expected results and whether the process of the investigation was a difficult one. The conclusion of the thesis should be objective and critical and the student should say what aspects of the problem still require deeper analysis.
Step Seven: Present Bibliography and Revise the Text
One will be asked to demonstrate the sources used for writing, so there is a need to complete a detailed bibliography designed according to the required format. The final action is the total revision of the dissertation, as the student will be punished for the slightest error of any type, so one has to be as attentive as possible.
Got stuck with the most important paper of your academic life? You can get a high-quality dissertation written by a professional team of academic writers. Address our dissertation writing service to receive timely assistance at a reasonable price.
Calculate a fair price for your paper
- High-quality content
- Proper formatting
- Editing and proofreading of your paper
- Title page and bibliography
- 24/7 support
- Check for plagiarism